Resources for Mindful Recovery
- Asheville Insight Meditation: A strong Asheville-based Buddhist community offering a full schedule of meditation sessions, classes, workshops, retreats, and other events.
- Southern Dharma Retreat Center: An excellent WNC center that brings in top quality Buddhist teachers from around the world for retreats ranging from three to ten days.
- Buddhist Recovery Network: Lists Buddhist Recovery meetings worldwide.
- Insight Meditation Society: The “Mother Ship” in the U.S. for insight meditation, with three meditation centers in Barre, Massachusetts.
- Dharma Seed: A website with thousands of insight meditation talks in audio by renowned teachers.
- Kevin Griffin: The website of the leading figure linking Buddhism with 12-Step Recovery.
Mindfulness & Recovery
- One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps, by Kevin Griffin
- Buddhism & the Twelve Steps Workbook, by Kevin Griffin
- Mindfulness and the 12 Steps: Living Recovery in the Present Moment, by Thérèse Jacobs-Stewart
- Refuge Recovery: A Buddhist Path to Recovering from Addiction, by Noah Levine
- Mindful Recovery: A Spiritual Path to Healing from Addiction, by Thomas and Beverly Bien
- The Mindful Path to Addiction Recovery by Lawrence Peltz, MD
- Recovering Joy by Kevin Griffin
- Mindfulness in Plain English, by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation, by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Wherever You Go, There You Are, by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind, by Shunryu Suzuki
- A Gradual Awakening, by Stephen Levine
- Everyday Zen: Love and Work, by Charlotte “Joko” Beck
- How to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Making Friends with Your Mind, by Pema Chodron
- Seeking the Heart of Wisdom: The Path of Insight Meditation, by Joseph Goldstein and Jack Kornfield
- Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening, by Joseph Goldstein
- What the Buddha Taught, by Walpola Rahula
- In the Buddha’s Words, by Bhikkhu Bodhi
- The Dhammapada: The Buddha’s Path of Wisdom, a collection of sayings by the Buddha
- Satipatthana: The Direct Path to Realization by Analayo
- The Vision of Dhamma by Nyanaponika Thera
- Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness, by Sharon Salzberg
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times, by Pema Chodron
- Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff, Ph.D.
Other Useful Books
- At Hell’s Gate: A Soldier’s Journey from War to Peace, by Claude Anshin Thomas
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, by Gabor Mate
- Going to Pieces Without Falling Apart, by Mark Epstein